Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Best Mother In Law EVER




Hi, My name is Nancy, and I’m going to be the best Mother in Law ever.

My daughter got married last September!  The day was a blur of fabulosity and fun, but what I remember most fondly is what her then fiance did.

See the weather was iffy, ok it was actually raining at certain points, and the wedding was supposed to be outside, in this lovely brick paved courtyard area.  My son, husband, nephew, niece and her husband stubbornly decorated the area, even though the hotel strongly encouraged us to move it inside.   Team K did a beautiful job bringing my cock-a-mamey idea to life.  

I could go on and on about it all, but I’ll skip to the important part.

As the rain threatened yet again, and the guests were afraid of getting damp, a decision had to be made, move it in, or have the ceremony outside…NOW.   The planner asked the groom, and he calmly said:  K wants it outside.   So here it is, beautiful, right?


I forgot to tell the planner that K is half Irish, that a little rain is kinda like sunshine to us, and that her nickname was the “Rainbow Princess” so in fact a little drizzle was to be expected.  PSIL understood that none of that was really necessary to explain, the fact was K wanted it outside, and for her wedding day, she would have the day she wanted.  Pure and Simple.

I decided anyone who loved my daughter as much as he did would forever be PSIL: Perfect Son In Law.

Now before you think I’m totally round-the-bend crazy, I know he is not perfect, and I know he knows that I know that he isn’t perfect.  Two things:  He truly cherishes my daughter and her crazy border collie dog, and he tries his best to be a partner, provider, and dog-parent.

So how do you find out how not to do all the mistakes MILs (Mother in laws) have been doing for years?  The answer?  Mother in law jokes!

Behind every successful man stands a devoted wife and a surprised mother-in-law.


Overheard in a restaurant:

SHE:  This wine is described as full bodied and imposing with a nutty base, a sharp bite, and a bitter aftertaste.

HE:  Are you describing the wine or your mother?

My mother-in-law was so mean she blinded herself just to get a free dog.

A woman woke her husband in the middle of the night and told him “there is a burglar downstairs in the kitchen and he is eating the cake that my mother made for us.”
The husband said, “who shall I call, the police or an ambulance?”

“I haven’t spoken to my mother-in-law for eighteen months. I don’t like to interrupt her.”

I have never made a fool of my mother-in-law,
I just leave her to display her natural talents herself.

My mother-in-law said to me, "If you were my husband I'd put poison in your coffee" I replied, "If I were your husband, I'd drink it!!"

What is the difference between mother-in-law and a terrorist? You can sometimes make an agreement with a terrorist.

How many mothers-in-law's does it take to change a light bulb?
One. She just holds it up there and waits for the world to revolve around her.

And my favorite, because I’m a gal who loves her accessories:

I used to not get along with my mother-in-law, but over the last few months I've developed quite an attachment for her. It goes over her head and a strap comes down under her chin to keep her mouth shut.

So what am I Treasuring and Tossing my friends?  I know, you thought I forgot all about that.

I’m Tossing butting in, Talking too much (OMG this will be hard), and poisoning coffee :-), being mean, oh and getting too fat.

I’m going to Treasure my PSIL, support the success and happiness of their marriage, let H (Hubby) do most of the cooking when they come over…

And torture PSIL because he won’t be able to participate in Mother-In-Law jokes!  HA!

What are you Treasuring and Tossing in this brand new year?  I wish you Well!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you couldn't be a crazy Mother in Law if you tried. Well... at least this kind of crazy! Haha. And I got a bit teary at the beginning. He's so cute. But you forget... one of the husband stipulations was that he had to get along with my family. Not pretend, actually fit in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And he DOES! Not sure that's a complement...LOL

    ReplyDelete